How to get an Iraqi Visa
Iraq isn’t a country often associated with international tourism, so quite rightly many people will be asking, how on earth do you get a visa for Iraq?
At Untamed Borders, we aim to highlight some of Iraq’s most historic sights and most memorable experiences. We arrange a variety of trips to the country, including cultural trips and skiing excursions. Naturally, this leads to the question of how to get there, including obtaining an Iraqi visa.
It’s important to note that visas differ for the Kurdish part of Northern Iraq and the rest of the country – we’re highlighted what’s different in our Iraqi visa guide.
And we’ve put together this handy list for you to use, to help you negotiate the Iraqi visa process:
- If you are eligible for an Iraq visa on arrival, the process is simple.
Which countries are eligible for an Iraq visa?
- Citizens of the EU, UK, Switzerland, USA, Canada, Russia, China, South Korea, Japan, Australia & New Zealand can apply for an Iraqi visa on arrival.
How much does an Iraqi visa cost at the airport?
- If you pay for your visa on arrival at the airport, then it will cost 77 USD. You must ensure you have the exact amount since they don’t give change, and the banknotes shouldn’t be older than 2006 – that’s a general rule for the whole country.
What happens when you arrive in Baghdad, Iraq?
- When you arrive at the airport, you are directed towards the immigration hall. Before getting in line at the immigration booths, you will find some chairs and a small counter to the left of the room. You should walk to the counter, get a copy of the immigration application, fill out the upper part of the sheet (marital status, profession etc. are not compulsory to fill out), and hand it to the employee along with the passport and the visa fee.
How long does it take to clear immigration at Baghdad airport?
- If it isn’t too busy you should get your visa back within 15 to 20 minutes. After you have your passport back with your visa, walk to the immigration booth, get it stamped, walk through the door, and get your luggage in the next hall.
What rights does a visa give you when entering Iraq through Baghdad airport?
- If you’ve been granted a visa when entering Iraq through Baghdad Airport, then you are allowed to stay in the country for 30 days and the visa gives you the ability to travel around the whole country, including the Kurdish part of Iraq, in the north.
What rights does a visa give you when entering Iraq through Erbil airport, in the Kurdish north?
- If you’re granted your visa in Erbil, then your visa is only valid for 30 days in the Kurdish part of the country in the north.
- You will not be able to travel to the rest of the Iraq, without a separate visa.
Can you get an Iraqi visa if your country isn’t one of the named eligible countries?
- If you aren’t from the countries listed above, the process is more complicated. You can contact us at email@example.com for more information.
How much does it cost to get an Iraq visa from a consulate?
- The consular prices for Iraq visas are – USD 30-40 for tourist, religious, or regular visas (single-entry). USD 100 for multiple-entry visas
If you have any further questions or need more information about how to get an Iraq visa or about the Iraqi visa process in general, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back as soon as possible.
We have fixed-date group trips scheduled, this year and next, including: